EV powertrain testing, PHEV drivetrain test
EV powertrain testing rig for electric motor and inverter development, tailored to research and development requirements, can enable research into future electric drivetrain technologies.
EV powertrain testing rig overview
In the highly competitive world of electric transportation, EOLexpertise works on an advanced EV powertrain testing rig, for electric motor and inverter development, that’s capable of advancing research into electric and hybrid vehicles. The resulting tester is a fully integrated, high-accuracy e-motor and inverter development platform.
Designed to support the customer’s automotive program, the EV powertrain testing rig will enable investigation into new approaches to motor and drive design, development and control.
The dynamometer contains a load motor, a battery simulator and EOLexpertise’s advanced Power Measuring Module (PMM). The battery simulator is an innovative bidirectional power supply, designed to accurately simulate the battery as well as high speed data acquisition can be achieved with EOLexpertise’s real time power measurement module (PMM) provide low-power operation through the coupled power system.
EOLexpertise’s new PMM is a precision measuring device that can be configured for testing the functions of hybrid motors, controllers and other such devices, synchronizing all data channels to within less than 100 nanoseconds.
The EV powertrain testing rig software suite enables the engineer to fully customize the screens and controls with both manual and automatic interfaces, which are visible on dual LCD displays for an entire system view. Custom plotting for professional reports and a virtually unlimited number of user customizable tests are just some of the hallmarks of the software platform.
Major functions of EV powertrain testing rig
1. Performance test
- Cooling water path pressure drop test
- Temperature rise test
- External work characteristics test and efficiency MAP
- Renewable energy feedback test
- Other user-defined EV motor, controller and HEV powertrain performance test
2. Reliability test
- Cyclic test condition (i.e. Integrated considering EV motor, HEV powertrain start, acceleration, rated power, peak power, rated speed, peak speed peak, peak power at maximum speed, temperature rise, etc.. All working points should be evaluated. 200 hours cyclic work condition is set.)
- High-temperature durability test for low pressure controller (i.e. Test temperature is 85℃. Cooling water inlet temperature is controlled at 70℃. Water cooling flow rate is 14L per min. 2000 hour durability test is conducted under varying conditions and different ambient temperatures)
- Other user-defined motor, HEV powertrain and controller reliability test
3. Vehicle test bench simulation
- Vehicle dynamic performance test
- Hybrid driving mode test
- Pure electric drive mode test
- Energy consumption and driving range test
- Other user-defined vehicle test bench tests
4. Development and validation test
- Vehicle driving control strategy development
- Vehicle driving control policy validation
- Analysis for factors affecting energy feedback efficiency
- Other user-defined motor and controller development test
Battery testing can also be performed with the following characteristics.
- Battery testing from small cells to full size
- Profile testing over a wide temperature range
- Conducting separate tests instantaneously
- Studying battery and capacitor scaling, thermal management and capacity
- Performance and life testing of battery in hybrid vehicle and electric vehicle
PHEV drivetrain test, EV powertrain testing
PHEV drivetrain test bench for hybrid vehicle can test the endurance characteristics of inverter driving an electric motor and gasoline or diesel engine simultaneously.
PHEV drivetrain test bench overview
EOLexpertise PHEV drivetrain test bench for hybrid vehicle is able to test the endurance characteristics of inverters driving an electric motor and gasoline or diesel engine at the same time. These machines were designed to evaluate the next generation of hybrid electric vehicle drives.
One model was designed as a motor and inverter durability tester. On the other hand, another model was conceived as an end-of-line tester for production line applications, as the volume of motors customers wanted to evaluate increased exponentially.
The state-of-the-art PHEV drivetrain test bench uses dual-load motors driven by a proprietary power supply system. In addition, this PHEV drivetrain test bench was designed to simulate different loading conditions for testing both motors separately in all four quadrants of operations.
Sharing common advantages with its siblings, an inherent modular design approach allowed versatility to add optional components such as thermal chambers, power meters, cooling and heating loops and oil-conditioning systems to offer a wide range of possibilities for product validation.
In developing PHEV drivetrain test bench solutions, it was very important that the systems be able to operate increasingly more complex tests required by the customer. In light of this, the EOLexpertise software and controls team was commissioned to develop a highly user-friendly platform to run customizable automated test profiles.
These profiles could be tailored to any globally recognized standard and produce validation reports that would allow various test system configurations to be compared. Summarily, a new suite of testing software had been born, purposely designed for rigorously evaluating HEV drivetrain performance, as well as durability.
Overview of EV powertrain testing, PHEV drivetrain test bench
1. Main control system features
- Real-time control system (complete UUT and dynamometer control, real-time process execution and data acquisition) and test stand security system use separate hardware system for implementation.
- Real-time control systems deploys NI PXI hardware for running real-time operation system and the corresponding control program to achieve engine and dynamometer control, data acquisition, real-time testing process execution, test stand security monitoring and other tasks.
- Operator console communicates with real-time controller through gigabit ethernet. Test procedures are issued and test results are obtained. The display is shown on appropriate interface.
2. Main control system implementation (partial)
- Drivetrain test bench main control system implementation
3. Dynamometer high speed closed-loop control
- The main character of dynamometer high speed closed-loop control is a reconfigurable FPGA for the implementation of torque signal frequency decoding. The anti-interference ability of torque measurement signal can be improved.
- Using real-time EtherCAT bus and dynamometer driver for communication to send the torque and speed setting commands, the signal interference from driver can be avoided given that the premise of real-time performance is ensured.
- Dynamometer high speed closed-loop control (speed and torque closed-loop control) is implemented by FPGA. Other control modes are implemented by real-time controller. It is highly flexible and can achieve the purpose of high-speed control.
- Dynamometer controller as a part of PXI system, the same PXI bus is shared with other acquisition cards. Other signals can be precisely synchronized.
System modules of EV powertrain testing, PHEV drivetrain test bench
Test project management module
- A test project consists of all hardware configuration information, channel calibration information, control model (PID model), the measured object information, test procedure, alarm setting, user-defined interface
- System provides basic test project template which can be directly applied on transmission, engine, hybrid powertrain testing
- Powertrain test bench project management module
- Powertrain test projects can be configured
Powertrain test bench project operation module
- Provide manual and automatic operation modes
- User can select the necessary running test process
- A variety of tools are provided for real-time monitoring during operation
- User can define operation interface with their preferences.
- Multiple screens can be defined with drop-down menu for selection
About automotive EOL test hyperlink
About performance test hyperlink